View Single Post
Old 3 Nov 2023, 09:08 (Ref:4184145)   #2953
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ran the re-installed engine and all was not quite 'well'.
This engine has a flat 6 configuration, and each side of the engine has it's own silencer /exhaust layout, so you can compare what each side of the engine is doing relative to each other. Useful!
Got it running and a bit warm and place each gloved palm of the hands very close to the silencers together, the left bank was running like a sewing machine and quite hot but very very steady, the right bank was qite the opposite. Intermittent pops (like a miss fire but no bang) and running much cooler.

Investigation found two plug leads almost disconnected at the place where the plug cap screws into the very frail carbon fibres of the special leads. Fixed those.

However, irratic running and cool still there....

Decided to have all the jets out of the PMO carb on the right side, cleaned them all and air lined the passages, re-fitted. So much better, 'misfire' almost gone and temperatures even on both sides. While this was all running decided to put the strobe gun on each lead and check the ignition pulse was there and getting to the right timing spot. With access so good this was easy, all present and correct.

I must have about 50 bhp more now for next season..

Need to drain the 99 octane out totady, final spanner re-check over the car and cover it up until late spring.
All being well, the season for us will kick-off in april at Prescott for our 32nd bash at winning the Championship Class, now the trophy has my name on it for the 6th time, can i do it again, or will some young upstart arrive?

My hoped for new project has been sidelined, so winter project is no more. will need to find something soon!

Where it all began!

Dreams come true

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 3 Nov 2023 at 09:35.