View Single Post
Old 20 Apr 2011, 22:17 (Ref:2867261)   #251
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps the ALMS can subsidize the FLM-to-LMP2 LC75 update kit that Oreca has or can make in order to help some teams transition to LMP2. As mentioned earlier, there is some evidence that FLM/LMPC helps get teams into the real classes.

The problem is that the ALMS has created a great spec feeder series. A cost controlled spec feeder series that gets all the attention of the main class. Indy Lights and other feeder single seater categories can't claim that.

The key thing the ACO/IMSA needs to do is figure out the LMP2 rules. Nobody is going to invest in the class if they don't know whether the equipment they buy is going to be competitive. Plus, why should they invest in LMP2 equipment if the LMPCs and maybe even the GTs are going to be just as fast or faster? Also, I think they need to be more clear on what is cost-capped and what isn't. I think the stock block nature of LMP2 could help get American manufacturers back into the prototype ranks at least in terms of providing gear for private teams, but they should not even bother if the French favorites are going to get favorable rules and cost-capped status.

EDIT: I wonder what the LMS will do next year if they decide to dump LMP1. Will they create a new LMP3 type class? If so, will that be faster or slower than FLMs? Perhaps the LMS and ALMS should work together to create decent rules for national series.