View Single Post
Old 31 Jan 2024, 07:39 (Ref:4194343)   #73
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Trying to keep my point F1 related, I think the point being made within the sport is that F1 is supposed to becoming 'Carbon Neutral' and therefore explaining that the production process produces excessive CO2 shouts that claim down. The fact that the fuel is coming from a renewable source is still relevant, but it is not something that is so widely publicised because the whole 'CO2 thing' is the handle that everyone seems to be putting forward as the most relevant.
Understood - although the goal to be Net Zero Carbon is just one of the five Key Goals of F1. It is more appropriate to view it as part of their wider aim, which is focused on sustainability.

For reference, the Five Key Goals are:
  • Develop future engine powered by sustainable fuels
  • Become Net Zero Carbon by 2030
  • Zero waste on and off track
  • Reduced footprint back at base
  • Leave a lasting positive impact

If sustainable fuels result in more carbon emissions that fossil fuels, then that is just part of the wider sustainability goal.

It is also worth noting that the Strategy for F1 sustainability has two lines of effort - 'Countdown to Zero' and 'Positive Race Print'. Actions and initiatives along one line of effort may make achieving the other harder, but that does not mean they are taken as mutually exclusive, but are complementary.

For Countdown to Zero:
On the Track - 'Deliver the most powerful and efficient race cars on earth propelled by sustainably-fuelled hybrid power units, putting Formula 1 at the forefront of the motorsport industry'
On the Move - 'Maximise logistics and travel efficiency through process and volume optimisation, using the least CO2 intensive transport available'
Where we work - 'Transition to 100% renewable electricity at all F1 and team facilities and adopt net zero carbon technologies for HVAC and mobile power'
Balance to Zero - 'Fully offset unavoidable emissions through robust and verifiable biological and technical sequestration programmes'

For Positive Race Print:
What we use - 'Targeting use of only recyclable or compostable materials (e.g. zero single-use plastic), and aiming for 100% of waste to be re-used, recycled or composted'
To the Race - 'Enable fans to reach the race by lower/zero carbon transport methods or credibly offset emissions created by their travel'
Where you watch - 'Prioritise fan wellbeing and the local environment by enhancing biodiversity, improving air quality and offering healthier food options'
With our hosts - 'Give local people greater access to our events and drive positive benefits for local business and causes through constructive partnerships'