View Single Post
Old 9 Mar 2014, 21:01 (Ref:3376823)   #68
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I think post #62 is correct in describing the limit on entries as not being the right side of any rational description regarding "restraint of trade".The series was debased when the limit on entry numbers was somehow introduced.If a team can build a car that meets the technical criteria,they should be allowed on track to qualify-or not.I can accept that they ought to be required to commit to appearing at every event and would support the idea that failing to do so would incur a penalty.Regrettably, the complexity and cost of the current power units is probably the limiting factor as with only three suppliers there is inadequate depth and breadth in the pool to support additional aspiring entrants.
I think that the present engine formula is the main hindrance to an open championship. Its is so complex technically (although they will get a handle on it) that teams and even new engine producers are going to be thin on the ground even if it was opened up. Its not just money any more, although that is still the major factor. Bernie has recently said that the Concorde agreement is no longer necessary (the present situation has no Concorde agreement) as he says the current board of six teams, six votes the commercial owner and 6 votes FIA supersedes the Concorde agreement.
I don't think you have to be forced to commit to every event as you'll be cutting your own throat if you are serious and don't do it by missing out on funds from the teams agreement so its a in a sense a de-facto penalty anyway.