View Single Post
Old 1 Feb 2007, 01:40 (Ref:1830737)   #6
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now for some of the cars there that I really wouldn’t mind owning. Of course it would help if they didn’t cost money and were able to be shrunk and stored on my mantelpiece when I wasn’t driving them!

Alfa Romeo GTC. The Bertone shape just lends itself to being a convertible I think, and the factory made a thousand of them.

BMW 3.0CSi. An unusual colour for this one, but what a classic shape and sound.

Ferrari 365 GTC4. Not a well known model, and not classic Ferrari styling, but I think it does look good.

Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III. With prices skyrocketing (former non-works Bathurst race car sold for nearly 300,000 pounds recently) and only 300 built it is not easy to own one of these. They were a road-legal race car with ~380hp from the 351 Cleveland, and were the fastest sedan in the world at the time. Now the top speed you will see listed in the specifications is 142mph, but that was due to the rev limiter fitted to make sure there weren’t too many warranty claims for engines blown by owners exploiting the high-revving nature of the Cleveland V8. The rev limiter was set at 6150rpm, and the car would get there very quickly, while the limiter was removed for racing and 7000rpm was used – on the standard engine.

The collector in me would snap one of these up in an instant, a Ford Cortina GT500. Approx 120 made with tuned engine, Lotus Cortina gearbox, big fuel tank etc all aimed at winning the Bathurst 500 – and it did.

Lancia Aurelia GT – do I need to explain why I would want one of these?

Jaguar D-type, again no explanation needed!

Sunbeam Lotus, great power to weight ratio, World Rally Champion. A great history and surely a lot of fun.

TVR – not sure exactly what model it is. I remember seeing a couple of TVRs at a local garage 20 years ago, although it was years before I knew what they were.