Old 29 Aug 2007, 09:10 (Ref:1999024)   #21
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike

If it's on the roll bar it's definitely the SCCA stamp
No new B27s were sold to Canada and the fuel cell date may not mean much because Marston probably supplied Chevron with a batch and a left over cell might even have gone in one of the late season cars.

However, Chicago does narrow the field a little.

We know that Keith Feldott bought 03 in 1975 and raced it in Cen Div until 1977. Don't know which SCCA area he was in.
Dan Neuman of St Paul Minnesota has a B27 in 1975. For sale in 1976 as ex Pryce, 3 races from new. This has to be the ex Opert car raced by Holmes and Pryce late on in 1974. This would have gone into Cen Div somewhere I guess.
Lloyd Callaway [Chicago area] has a B27 in 1975/76
Tom Christ of Chicago has a B27 1976/77 which can't be the Callaway car as the appearances overlap.
Frank Scott of Chicago has a B27 in 1977 which can't be the Christ car
Tom Cooney of Chicago has a B27 from 1977 to 1980 which also can't be any of the above!

At the June Sprints of 1977 there are four B27s
Feldott with 03, Scott, Cooney and Christ.

The Scott, Cooney and Christ cars are your best bet for a Chicago SCCA car and are accounted for by the following possible chassis
02 ex Freeman, unknown after 1974 and not much known in it... may even have gone back to Opert. Last known as owned by Bob Dupré in the mid 80s
04 ex Shierson, James King. I'm in touch with James and will see if he remembers who he sold it to
06 ex Opert is unknown in period but has been found in USA so can't be your car.
10 was imported into USA in 1976-7 but again is known elsewhere

My money is on your car being one of the following:
the ex Pryce/Holmes car of unknown number [unless this was 15...]

As the three Chicago cars seem to have appeared in Cen Div at much the same time it might be not be of much worth to isolate the date of the 417 tag by looking at other known cars within the district with SCCA stamps.

I think next step is to keep looking for the tub stamp - it is not going to be obvious!
Also, what bodywork do you have? Is it original? If so, can you carefully sand back to the gel coat, perhaps in two small areas on cockpit and side pods, noting the sequence of colours. That might, at least, give us a clue to original owner and subsequent owners. If the base is dark blue you've got the Shierson car 04, if it's paler blue it's one of the Opert cars.

Chris