View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2012, 09:20 (Ref:3033923)   #2754
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
have just looked at a speed trace of a fast LMP900 car from a few years ago, the lap time was 3min 30 sec and the lowest speeds are:

Dunlop esses: 100kph
Mulsanne corner: 77kph
Arnage: 75kph

I guess the track has changed a bit since then, but its a reasonable indication still...........looking at the whole speed trend of the the full lap I'd say the time spent in these corners is absolutley minimal, so although the 120Kph activation speeds sounds like a limitation, in reality I dont think it is.......hmmm - interesting!!

Also there is 34 seconds of combined braking over a 3.30 lap time in which you can use fill the charging system........the rest is full throttle so 16% braking.........so using 2 x 75Kw generators and 34 seconds harvest time, Audi could store 150,000 x 34 = 5.1MJ over 1 lap.......divide that by the 10 main corners at LeMans and hey presto 0.51MJ between corners......simples!

There is no way the Williams system will be 100% efficient.......the race engine article states 70% system efficiency for the Williams flywheel system in the Porsche GT car.........my point being that I dont think Audi will be in a position to start applying 1MJ bursts between corners like Toyota say they could.