View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2013, 15:18 (Ref:3222817)   #6
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
Further to previous references on the Oulton Park meeting this weekend and the salting that has been witnessed there, and at other circuits over the last year, it has come as a shock to me, and possibly many other viewers.

My view is that it is a highly irresponsible action by circuit owners and that they should be boycotted during relevant meetings, and maybe a petition drawn up and sent to the owners.

Until Al mentioned it, i had no idea that salting would even be considered by a caring circuit because of the horrendous damage that will befall ANY car that is tainted with salt spray. Wet, or after drying, the acidic nature of it will microscopically discolour and eat away at virtually any surface.
Also consider that once rewetted, a so called clean road surface will still give off a salted spray until really diluted and washed away.

What do you think about my thoughts on this subject ?

for one:
salt (NaCl) is not acidic, in fact its exactly the opposite

a very good clean will help
if worried, spray some WD 40 after the clean
recheck after a day or two
dont put car in shed and revisit after 2 weeks
time plays an important role

my factory handles thousands of tons of salt per year
you can get on top of it, if you want

id be most worried about magnesium parts btw

i was not aware that racetracks get salted
but i am not surprised either