View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3223016)   #17
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Not really sure what they use in Germany-but it works. Fortunately no one has any links with any Sugar processing plants,where all the poxy molasses come from that makes british roads just as slippery when damp. So whats being proposed is refusing on a treated circuit? what about your entry fee because the track would be open,but your refusing to use it? That could be interesting.

We use salt on German roads, sometimes when ist very cold, they use partly dissolved salt that is mixed with some water.
On very very cold days they also use Magnesium cloride straight or blended with regular salt. MgCl which at lower temperature than regular salt (sodium cloride)
it very rarely used, much more corrossive than salt especially es a blend, and also 2-3 times as expensive, which limits use anyway

what I did not know is that You Brits used molasses
would not know why because it is much more expensive than salt because it is valuable cattle feed

and, yes i trade more sugar than salt and molasses also

what we find with salt packing machinery is that you need to Keep it moving
a machine can pack salt for years and look ok,
retire it and put it in storage, and it will rust more in 8 weeks of idling that in the 10 years of work before.

the Urea and granule phase of German road treatment is over
all replacement was found to be more harmful to environment that salt, or tended to block Drains
they have learnt however to get mor de-icing with less salt through better dispersal machinerey, pre solution in water and such
road salting is the major salt use in Germany and I would guess in most european countries
100 times more salt Ends up on roads than on tables

Rudolf