View Single Post
Old 21 Jul 2023, 18:52 (Ref:4169338)   #11
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I'm pretty sure , based on going to the GP last year, that hardly any F1 fans know or care about any other form of motorsport. The majority of folk I talked to were recent converts , many had never been to any type of motor sport before , let alone gone to other circuits. But they all seemed very happy , and in blissful ignorance of how rubbish their viewing experience actually was compared to any other UK track. Mind you , Donington is appallingly bad compared to how it was - Redgate is miles away from the spectators now.
And this is exactly why ticket prices for the GP are going up year after year after year...

People, mainly the aforementioned recent converts (or the 'Netflix crowd', as some people like to say) are happy with the experience and pricing because they simply don't know any different.

For the younger crowd especially, they're getting a concert, camping, F1 and various other activities rolled into one. They see the event as a holiday, so they're happy paying the same as they would to go abroad.

This is a very different audience to even 10 years ago. I have no doubt that, in the early 2010s, the current pricing would have resulted in a significant drop in attendance.

Nowadays, some people do complain about the daylight robbery but they're in the minority, and there's such a constant stream of new converts to take their place. That's not to mention the people who will complain but go ahead and buy tickets anyway.

I agree with the poster above - it's business, and Silverstone are nailing it. I'm not a fan of the place at all but it would be hard to argue with what they're doing right now.