View Single Post
Old 26 Mar 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2660385)   #31
Dunlop Corner
Racer

Dunlop Corner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I is tricky to find a good solution, but something needs to be done. The way the rules are now, the lower classes are being determined by the position of the overall leader. Depending on where the overall leader is, for a GT2 car a one minute gap could either be erased or be extended to an entire lap. No such problem for LMP1, in this class the gap is erased every time. And i think a solution has to be found, where this also is the result for the other classes.

I like the idea of having cars of lower classes immidiately pass the SC if they are ahead of the class leader. Let's sayt the SC pick up the overall leader, per the rules. If you are a GT2 car, you are now allowed to pass the SC immidiately, unless of course the class leader is already in the queue. That way we can have the same rules for all classes, with a single safetycar. The drawback is that it will take an extra lap or two to open the pits. However right now it seems the SC stays out there forever for even the smallest problem on the track. Therefor i don't think this will increase the overall length of the SC period, only the time it takes to form up. Which can be a problem of course for cars sitting in the pitlane waiting for the pits to open (something has to be changed with this rule obviously), or cars running low on fuel.
I don't think it is possible to make a system that is perfect in every situation. But i feel something has to be done, particularly right now where GT2 is the most interesting class. It is not right that the tightest class is to be decided on lottery, as happened at Sebring.