View Single Post
Old 23 May 2011, 15:41 (Ref:2884542)   #6
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
Drivers overalls could double as pressure suits for the high Gs, same as say a fighter pilot?

We're at the point now where you can buy a road car that has both a higher top speed and accelerates faster than an F1 car. Sure they are no match under braking or cornering but still..

I understand the safety concerns but are we saying that F1 cars will never get any faster than they are at the moment? Where will the sport be in 10 or 20 years time? Surely they cant just cap performance at current levels, not indefinitely.
While that's all true going fast in a straight line is not what F1 is about. If you remove the challenge of cornering motorsport can be much faster than F1 (top fuel or funny cars anyone) it is also in my humble opinion much less interesting without corners!

Incidentally a fighter pilot's G suit works because the G is basically all in one direction (from head to feet) I can't see the same approach working in an F1 environment where G forces are constantly changing not only in magnitude but in direction.