View Single Post
Old 10 Mar 2014, 18:28 (Ref:3378321)   #24
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've not read through this in some time.

I think we can safely assume he is not likely to recover much further than what he has already. Dr. Hartstein wrote a piece in February about where he assumes his condition is, I have to agree. The prognosis at this point is incredibly bleak.

My assumption, and this is 100% assumption...is that the family is likely deciding on how much longer to hold out, get further evaluations, and making a choice on when, not if, to withdraw care.

As terrible as it is, I think it's worth noting that reality has a harsh way of slapping us all in the face, and we need to face it. As much as I'd love to see him make a full recovery, I just don't see any way that it's possible this far along. 70+ days post injury, and still in a coma that is likely not drug induced, it's not good...and if so...

I would imagine sometime in the next month-ish we will either see a death notification, or a progress note that he's a persistent vegetative state and the death notification will follow sometime after that when he finally succumbs to an infection of some sort. That may be years down the road, but, nonetheless, it will eventually occur.

If he doesn't even have low-level functions of eye opening/fluttering or hand grasp then...I'd have to argue that he likely doesn't have much of a respiratory drive either if that's the case then he will be on a ventilator for the remainder of his life, as well as tube feeding...essentially a wasting state until death.

Again this is assumption on my part, I have not much else to base on except for timing. I would highly doubt the family would be keeping quiet if he is awake, talking and normal, or even semi-normal. I feel that his days are limited, as bad as it sounds, and as terrible as it is, I think e need to accept that death probably isn't far off.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”