View Single Post
Old 15 Aug 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1683549)   #9
morrisnutter
Rookie

morrisnutter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Surely engine speed and pump speed are related, I cannot see this working at all, never heard of it before but what do I know!
Very true, they are related! However, EVERY pump is fitted with a pressure relief valve that comes into action when engine (thus pump) revs get too high, causing too much pressure. Also, consider the amount of times that with a warm engine wou wished that the tickover oil pressure was higher- not a problem with an electric pump! A happy pressure can be found which the pump will constantly run at.

I'll check out the suppliers suggested!

The main reason is to get sufficient oil pressure at the bearings before startup to avoid wear.

As an aside, I know that the owners of some Cosworth (DFV?) GP cars have fitted these types of pumps to their engines. Due to the fact that they get 'timed out' like aircraft engines when they are run, to warm the engine most of the way, they fit a heating element of some kind and switch on the electric pump. That way the engine heat soaks to a certain temperature without causing undue run-time! Nice