View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3008640)   #12
miurasvguy
Rookie

miurasvguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Quite looking forward to this one. Some quality names on an interesting entry list.

Do Eric Lux and Gerard Lopez race often? They would be guys who have the money to get behind a top-flight sportscar team if they chose to.
Hi Simmi,

I met Gerard Lopez 7 or so years ago in Belgium in the Belcar championship. I believe that he used to race more in the past - at the time he was racing a Viper GT1 with Skype logos on it - he was the original money behind Skype. Actually a serial entrepreneur - and sort of a star in our countries.

Overall nice chap, he owns the F1 team with his partner Eric. In Luxembourg where I work, he is ranked as the second fortune - and has a huge car collection. I understand that they still (with eric Lux) own Gravity racing which used to run in Belcar and won a large number of races with the Mosler. They also have taken over Charouz Racing (ex Aston Martin) and now called Charouz-Gravity which runs 3 SLS GT3 in FIA.

A while ago they made a bid to buy Pescarolo but fell out with some crook who then was stripped of the team.

As I said, the few times I met him (and I was only helping out at MInternational) he was a really nice guy. Once at a test his Viper broke down - and he had booked Spa - the whole track for himself and friends. And he must have taken at least 20 people in hot laps in his Carrera GT - didn't mind and had a good time powersliding that thing around corners. I still have the video somewhere.

I would say no Fernando Alonso obviously, but top bloke and good driver from what I remember. Most importantly hugely passionate. Look at some of the cars OUTSIDE his garage in Luxembourg.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3273753...in/photostream

Pretty secret guy though even though known for F1. He owns three large investment groups in Lux which makes him my hero as he seems to like to spend it too :-D

So the short answer to your question. He could get into GT racing seriously!