View Single Post
Old 16 Jan 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1202526)   #3
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
How I think it can be fixed:

Please bear in mind that the opinions of the author are just that. I am not flaming, trolling, spewing, fomenting discord or trying to ruin everyone's day. Just for once, could we all sit down and discuss this without the blame, finger-pointing or other useless discussions over TG's vision this or Joe Heitzler's stupid idea that? Please?

1) We need a neutral party to step in and run things like a USAC or FIA type of organization (and please, I KNOW FIA is goofy - just stick with me for purposes of discussion!). Series' that are owned and operated by Team Owners or the Owner of the best-known venue in motorsports are doomed to failure as self-interest, self-absorption and greed will screw things up - boredom will end it.

2) We need then to establish a chassis/engine combo that is technically interesting. We need for the engines particularly to be based on a formula that encourages teams to work on, tweak and develop their own, ala NASCAR. Personally, I don't care if it is turbo, N/A, Supercharged or stock block. In fact, all four competing at once would be swell. Manufacturer involvement (i.e. $$$) needs to be discouraged. Bring back the Offenhauser if we have to.

3) There has to be a Crown Jewel - and there is one. It is called the Indianapolis 500. Now if you want to discuss everything you think is wrong with the 500 please start another thread. Open Wheel racing needs FOCUS - Big-Time. Open Wheel is on life-support now and we just don't have time to invent a new Big Deal Race.

4) The "Ladder Series" must mean something. The winner of the Barber Dodge championship should have a funded seat with a top Atlantic team as a reward. The winner of Atlantics should have an open wheel seat. How to do this? Each Team kicks in $$ annually. If you don't, you can't play. This could apply to the winner of USAC's Silver Crown for example (remember the need for local talent?).

5) Develop a "Core Fanbase." You remember us? The folks who went to Mid-Ohio and RA and Cleveland and Indy and Milwaukee and Phoenix because we WANTED to see the races and not because we think of racing as some sort of diversion at the local Street Fair? This Traveling Medicine Show bit where we go to wherever Jersey Barriers and Orange Cones appear has to stop. I am tired of the whole "profitable venue" talk. People go to Disney World because they want to - not because it comes to town once a year.

6) My last point for the moment: Make the Racing stand on it's OWN. People will pay to see a product that they like and they will travel great distances to do so!

The floor, for now, is yours...

Last edited by JohnSSC; 16 Jan 2005 at 21:18.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.