View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2005, 05:55 (Ref:1202725)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Now Mac, who will run it? I don't know as I am not that smart, connected or talented. For sure no one will accept me even by popular acclaim! I will say this: Forget Mario. He never has and never will have the interest to "run" open wheel. He likes the role of "grand Old Man" and well he deserves it. He is a racer, not an administrator. If he had any inclination he would have owned a team by now. He won't - he has no desire to put dime one of his own into such an operation. One thing Mario has been adept at is getting the ride on someone else's dime (and I mean no offense here, just stating a fact). Further, he has no desire to become the next AJ Foyt: a terrific driver who has allowed his reputation to erode by being a really crummy owner. Taking on this job could be a reputation killer.

I think we need to use the sanctioning body model here - a USAC that has a strong organization - unless the fellow who started the NHRA (can't recall his name) becomes available or clones himself - now there is a terrific model of grassroots up to Top Level racing encompassed in one organization - talent finds its way to the top.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.