Old 27 Aug 2014, 11:58 (Ref:3448109)   #253
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
As for me, I should say, since mid-90s I really liked DTM much. But new DTM is a bit strange to say the least. It's too corporative, miles away from "fresh" racing.
I agree that DTM is too corporate nowadays. While the DTM is undoubtedly a very professional (Sometimes too professional) series, it's also quite bland in its presentation, on and off track.

Quote:
I know that today racing itself is far away from that state it was in 70s, but to me it was the best time.
The question is of course, if those "good times" in the 70's really existed or if they are just the product of a selective imagination. I don't mean to attack you, I'm just asking a philosophical question . What I want to say is: Every decade in racing had its ups and downs and even today, there are great racing series, such as the GT Masters or BTCC or V8 Supercars etc.

Quote:
Where's the variety? Is it really too expensive for today racing?
I've once read a thesis in another forum that claimed that DTM was basically a tax-saving excercise. Looking at some of the sponsors involved (BMW Bank, Audi Ultra and such), I tend to agree. I guess the manufacturers just want to spend the right amount of money, in order to save taxes. Plus, if they spend more money or even make some money, it wouldn't be financially viable for them anyone. In the first case, because it'd be too expensive, in the second case, because they would have to pay taxes then.