Old 27 Aug 2014, 14:56 (Ref:3448178)   #255
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
What was epic "that days"? You could use the same engine in F2, DRM - and train your drivers in both championships. One week-end you had a F2 race and other - a DRM race, so drivers could compete in different circumstances.
Theoretically, you could still do so today. DTM cars are similar to GP2 or FR3.5 cars. In fact, Christian Vietoris ran DTM and GP2 in 2011. Unfortunately, he retired from GP2 in favour in DTM, as he's had some potential in open-wheelers in my opinion. But I guess being paid in DTM means more than paying for GP2.

Quote:
Of course, today we have an opportunity to watch every single race, but isn't the price for that a bit high?
I don't think so. As I've said, there are still plenty of exciting racing series around and all of them have TV contracts, yet have no or few adjustments for TV. Most adjustments just involve race lengths and such, but not gimmicks or any other things. On the other hand: Racing doesn't draw as much TV viewers as it used to anymore. Even F1 has suffered a loss in ratings, no doubt fueled by moving further and further to pay TV. Maybe casual fans are oversaturated by racing? Then again, we need the casuals, as they are paying the bills for racing. Not just by purchasing tickets, but also by generating interest into the product, by making it worthwhile for the mainstream media to cover a series, by making it worthwhile for big companies to place their advertising on the race cars. I think people underestimate what impact casual viewers can have on a sport.

Another thing bothering me, is how we don't have much information about the 2015 season. There are some rumblings about a change in regulations, but not many rumours about drivers or tracks for 2015. That's sad in my opinion and to be honest; it doesn't give me much hope for the future of the series :/