Old 21 Aug 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3446061)   #142
steve65
Rookie

steve65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=WOCCOWAYCER;2828529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith M Taylor View Post
Hi guys
A bit more info on John Maguire space frames....i had a quick look and found no mention of a Bernie Saunders (Used to do a lot of development work with David Vizard) in this thread so... who ran a yellow Maguire from the Cotswold's, Based workshop near Stow-on-the-Wold, Huntsmans Quarries, we took all the measurements from Bernie`s car, with Johns permission and built the main frame myself. Bought all the F/G panels & Front/rear coil springs from John, this was at the old workshop in Stony some thing Rd in Coventry, Roof, doors, front, rear panels boot ect..and got it all in and on a mini van, and back to Cheltenham in one go!!

I remember Bernie Saunders, we used to go and see him at the quarry.

He was doing hillclimbs and sprints with a conventional mini in the same yellow colour scheme as his Maguire car, sharing it with his (brother ?)

The Maguire car was circuit raced for Bernie by Malcolm Allen and very quick it was too, having an 8 port engine on fuel injection.

He had got the upper hand of our Maguire car at Donington one day but the throttle linkage broke and my brother went on to win !

Malcolm had a huge accident in it, I think it was at Combe and it caught fire, he was quite badly burned but both he and the car were repaired to fight another day.

I have attached a poor quality photo of Bernies car at Combe.

Do you know if Bernie is still around the area ?
Bernie, is still alive and kicking, he lives near me. Malcolm Allen that you mentioned is my uncle, he is still around too! I can put you in touch with either of them if you wish.