Old 29 Feb 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3032916)   #12
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
the pinnacle before everything became overwhelmed with stability control, ABS, traction control, etc.

The 1970's I don't believe will generate much of value as that was when government forced themselves on automotive manufacturing with regulation and union favoritism and the cars showed for it. After 1973 it was bleak.
Think you're spot on about pre-ABS, etc. examples being likely to become very desirable in the near future...but there are plenty of 70s examples already commanding top money, just look at Porsche RS so I'm not so sure about that theory.

Government regs. and unions never stopped the Germans or the Japanese making quality desirable machinery one bit in fact I daresay quite the opposite.

Now, Detroit fatcats' complete ineptitude and lack of innovation in dealing with the fuel crisis and the impending (and imposing) new safety regulations at the time is another thing. Same as it ever was. But that's a another story for a different thread, lest we digress!

Veering back towards topic, I notice a few RX7s on the CSCC link... those are lovely things to drive, a bit Alfa Romeo-like, nice positive steering, balanced, revvy motor. Not what I would call beautiful, but the earliest ones in the right color can look very attractive in stock trim. Lot of fun for very little money, maybe not for long.