View Single Post
Old 26 Jul 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2931501)   #18
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The silly case is one of the most horrid things about the GoPro.

Silly flimsy case that wobbles
Massive frontal area
Dodgy buttons
Poor audio (though not too bad if you have a loud engine)

Having used one for six months, and had the case wear the camera away where it touches inside the case, had the case 'lugs' break, and had the camera occasionally reject the memory card, and have it occasionally just stop recording for no apparent reason (it works when the car comes back to the paddock), I couldn't recommend a GoPro HD to anyone that uses a single seater. The wide angle lens (170°) is nice in terms of seeing around the car, but even flies hitting the lens look about 3 miles away, and the distortion is fairly horrid.

As said, not tried the Replay XD1080 on track yet, but it's nicely made, easier to mount without wobbles, better aero, simpler to use, easier to charge or remove the memory card, and more configurable via a text file on the memory card (for mic gain, contrast, saturation, white balance, sharpness etc etc).

The only thing (the ONLY thing) the GoPro has on the Replay currently is one-touch recording (i.e. turn on the GoPro and it can start recording immediately). I'd imagine that'll be an easy firmware addon for Replay in the future.

Replay are also planning external mics, links to dataloggers for record-start-when-datalogger-starts, different lenses... GoPro prefer to sell fugly 3D versions (two GoPros cobbled together in a very nasty fashion) rather than things the end user actually wants.