Thread: NZV8's 2011/12
View Single Post
Old 27 Feb 2012, 02:20 (Ref:3031723)   #773
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
I hear through the grapevine that someone at TMC has conceded that they have been soundly beaten in the V8 stakes. This lacklustre promotion of the new car looks like a sure sign of capitulation on their behalf.

Which is a shame really. ST is virtually a closed shop already unless you have $45-60k to pay for a co-drive in the three enduro rounds. If you want to win a National title in a V8 class, what else is there at a sensible price?
I think the thing to do now is a deal for the benefit of all and as I laid out before, you could have the NZV8's folded into V8 Challenge Cup and even have the MRX car as an option if they could cut costs down. In addition look at the different support series as well to see what could be done.

That way you'd have multiple options at different price points that people could either afford or source a sponsor for. The Challenge Cup can be like the Dunlop Series in Australia with privateers who don't want to run in the main game or those looking to move up through the ranks and get the experience and demonstrate their skills.

Right now, ST is getting off the ground and plugged into V8 Supercar drivers and some of the current national drivers, but then what next when those people move on someday? So it's not an issue now, but something to consider because if it just ends up as local/regional club racing and then just V8ST, there is really going to be no pathway for jumping up to a $200K car.

I don't think support series bring hordes of people to the track, but not having enough of them drives people away from future events as no one wants to sit there with hours between races.