View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2013, 07:59 (Ref:3221560)   #158
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The strategy the Mercedes' had was good but they pit too early on the first stint. If they could have went another 4 or 5 laps on those opening Super Softs, perhaps the strategy would have worked. You can't fault Hamilton for placing 5th because a strategy that didn't pan out. Just like you can't fault Rosberg for the car failure. IMO they pit too early in the first stint. They should have went another 4 laps or 5 laps. The tires probably would have held their times stable for that amount of time. The 1:33s were the pace of Rosberg and Hamilton while running 1-2. The guys who switched to mediums were going about 1:32s high 1:31s. I think they reacted too fast when they saw how quick the mediums were.

I think if some of the Q3 runners would have chose mediums, they could have done what Sutil did and do the opening stint for a good while and hold their place. It would have worked better for them because they were higher placed than Sutil, if they could have made those tires last that long. I think teams need to take a good look at that, but Melbourne is just Rd.1!