Thread: Brabham BT23
View Single Post
Old 14 May 2004, 17:08 (Ref:1544679)   #23
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone does get in touch with Phil Harris please could they remember to ask about that March 78B!!

Bryan

Just to say that the only time I use an F1R chassis number these days is if it's confirmed by contemporary periodical report. All of my records here are derived from MN and AS first.

23C-1. I think this car was raced as F3 by Stiller. Several reports describe it as ex Troberg/Stiller when McRae uses it. Given your comment on 23-9 [carrying the plate from 8 just to confuse matters!] did Stiller [or Williams for him] actually use more than one 23 or 23C as F3. My reason for asking comes from the 1969 F3 season.
Claudio Francisci in Italy is meant to get a very early BT28 but because of the delay at Brabhams he uses what is described as a BT21. BUT... I just came across a report that said it was a Williams supplied ex F2 chassis - so some kind of BT23 since it can't be either of the ex Lambert cars. Nor can it be the Vigoureux BT23, since he's using that at the same time.

Kinnear has two cars I think - though accept 23C-1 is problematic. He sells one in 1971 but keeps the other, and it is described as 'ex Walker and Courage' which is clearly not 23-1, but could, I suppose be 16, which was also used by both.

On the basis of the 1968 histories of the BT23s, what on earth was teh Dave Webster car? Of the two candidates I figured, we have one still in Europe and the other in Japan.

Chris