View Single Post
Old 10 Nov 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2788223)   #320
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I find it interesting that Audi is using the R15 to test the wide tire idea for the R18--that shows that weight distribution wise that the R15 probably isn't too far off the R18, and Audi is aiming to the R8's handling dynamics back with the R18. They got close at times with that on the R10 and the R15, but could never really get 100% the feel that they wanted, at least on a consistant basis.

Marshall said after LM that the R15 had grip problems in slow corners, and it seems that Audi know that if the tires are built for the job, that it can fix a lot of that issue on the R15, and that if anything, it should work better on the R18, as its designed for the wider tires from the outset.

Also, in this instance for both Audi and maybe Peugeot, they don't need to run a hydrualic power steering system. Audi fixed their electonic power steering issues at LM '09 by sending more power to the unit, and the issue was solved. I wonder if Peugeot used EPS in the 908, if it was run by hydrualics like the paddle shifter system (I'm guessing hydrualics because the hydrualic system had to be rebuilt on one car at Sebring after a power steering failure)?

We really don't know what either Audi or Peugeot are doing. The 90X test car could just be an old 908 tub with the 90x's bodywork and powertrain in it. Or Peugeot can be using old molds and construction techniques updated for the smaller car and canibalizing the best bits of the 908's chassis. It seems that Audi is doing the same with the R15--updating it to cure an issue, and at the same time gathering data for the new car. And with the issues that Audi had with the R15 it's whole life, I'd bet for the R18 to look a bit more conventional than either version of the R15--the 90X hasn't evolved insanely far from the 908 design wise, and that's probably the mistake that Audi made with the original R15--it deviated too far from the R8/R10 areo and suspension design.

And this is a question for the R18 and 90x in general, but will either Audi or Peugeot use zero-keel front suspension on the new cars? Audi has used zero keel on the R15, but it seems that the jury is out on how well it worked.