Old 3 Nov 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2981215)   #607
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/11/04/...tourers-drive/

Quote:
Cameron McConville is close to securing a seat in New Zealand’s new V8SuperTourers Series.

McConville, one of Australian motorsport’s most versatile drivers, is eyeing a drive in the new-for-2012 series that kicks off at Hampton Downs in February.

The Toll Holden Racing Team endurance driver says that he is in discussions with a couple of teams, including the Australian-based Melbourne Performance Centre outfit.

“It looks like a great new series and it would be good to be involved from the inception,” McConville told Speedcafe.com.

“From what I can tell, the car looks very close to V8 Supercars’ Car of the Future regulations, which has its benefits come the endurance races.

“I’ve been speaking to a couple of teams, including MPC, but I haven’t got anything 100 percent locked away as yet.

“I’ve spoken to the guys who have done the NZV8 Touring Cars, like David Besnard, Craig Baird, Jason Bargwanna, and they all rave about the racing in New Zealand. It definitely appeals to me.”

If McConville secures a ride in the class, he would join a strong list of drivers who have already signed on for the inaugural series – including Greg Murphy, Craig Baird, John McIntyre, Daniel Gaunt, Scott McLaughlin, Kayne Scott and Andy Booth.

McConville says he is hoping to have a firm answer on his possible involvement in V8SuperTourers in the coming week.

And the sooner McConville gets an answer, the sooner he can start to map out another busy year of racing – both on and off the track. This year, he has raced as James Courtney’s co-driver in the V8 enduros, plus selected Fujitsu Series races and his full-time drive in the Bundaberg Racing V8 Ute.

To add to that, McConville is the driver standards observer for Australian Carrera Cup, GT3 Cup Challenge and Formula Ford.

He says the he is likely to have another busy 2012.

“If Walkinshaw Racing decided to run the Bundy Ute again, I’ll do that – that’s my main gig and my priority,” he said.

“The Fujitsu Series is important for race miles, but it has to fit in around my commitments to Walkinshaw, assuming that goes ahead.

“Fujitsu is still on the radar, but the New Zealand racing definitely appeals to me. It would allow me to focus on one job in Australia and other over there.”