View Single Post
Old 2 Apr 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2665630)   #575
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the perspectives.

Here's some to consider:

The only thing that the casual fan will know, or care about, is the quality of the racing. They don't know what powers these cars now, nor will they care about a wholesale change to another formula.

But having a variety...in acceleration from different torque curves, different sound, different silhouettes from the airbox changes...that is a difference they will pick up on. It will be easy to explain to the viewer the difference between the two Dallara variants, and create a minor point of interest for the casual fan.

So the first day that viewer sees a turbo four win a race, he notices that the new kid on the block beat the big old motor. And he smiles as he hops into his four cylinder econobox to drive home from the track, just like half of the other people that were there.

That might bring a little relevance, but beyond that there isn't any to the casual fan. Analytics about consumer taste as it relates to racing engines doesn't fly. It's just about good racing. That requires variables.

When you read the changes I write about, keep in mind that they are primarily focused on oval track racing and specifically the 500. That's where the lack of variables has diluted the competition and added to the danger of pack racing. As much as good road racing is a part of the series, ovals will always be the priority in my mind when it comes to IndyCars, since the 500 will always be the pinnacle.

Comparisons of performance and required equivalency is pretty tough to detail without actual engines. The MZR-R is out there, and today I spoke with the second builder with extensive Ecotec experience who says it will be no great feat.

The only parameters I am using so far is four cylinders, 575 HP minimum on ethanol, 2,000 mile minimum (at Wide Open Throttle) service life. Max displacement may have to be 2.4 liters.

Unfortunately a call to DynoTech in Fort Wayne revealed that they are no longer running an engine dyno. Another builder in central Pennsylviania runs two cells, so the testing can be done. Trying to figure out who will answer the invitation is the next step.

If anybody has good detailed info on the AER MZR-R installation in the LMP2 car, please share. There are instalation details that will be useful for reference, pictures also.

As for the undertray mods, those do nothing to pack air under the car or create more wake tubulence. The modification is to bevel the bottom edge of the side pod, as you are looking at it from the side view. If anything, wake turbulence would be reduced as a result of decreasing the tunnel volume.