Old 5 Jun 2011, 23:35 (Ref:2891821)   #64
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Personally, it didn't live up to the hype in my eyes.

As a geek, there were some things i just couldn't get past.

1. The portrayal of Senna & Prost. Prost was treated rather unfairly i thought, and not enough emphasis was put on the fact that Senna was a bit of a d!!k from time to time. Knowing what i know, i was able to fill in the blanks, but to a 'noob' who was learning about the period for the first time, i thought it was unesessarily biased.

2. If you spend 5 years in the edit, you could at least get the audio/video synced for the onboards. I know Senna was special, but not even he could go quick by downshifting on the exit of corners....

3. Some editorial conveinience. The time he was complaining about which side Pole should be on at Suzuka. It showed quite a lengthy bit of footage of him talking to an official in a course car. That footage was at Hockenhiem. So, it was a common complaint. The way they cut it, it made it seem like it was Balestre's doing because he wanted to give Prost an advantage. yawn.

Anyway, on the plus side. I found it compelling, and a wonderful experience to be in a packed cinema watching a motorsport doco. Being in Oxford, i suppose there is more of a geographical interest. Indeed, i entered the cinema just behind Anthony Reid and some of his freinds. Red carpet or what?!

The bit that dragged the tears out of me though, was the snippet of Roland Ratzenberger chatting to his engineer shortly before his death. I often feel that Roland gets forgotten about in the shadow of Senna. That made me particually sad.

Definatley go and see it. Just don't believe all the hype.
Agree the bias for me against Prost was a major flaw in the film and the in car clip of Senna being stuck in gear was clearly flawed as you could here the upshift!
On the whole the film was good if a little rushed ie no footage of Formula Ford or F3 battles, it made me like others I expect a little uneasy Knowing what was coming at the end having watched in horror that awful weekend unfold at the time.