View Single Post
Old 18 Nov 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2988340)   #35
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
If they have a problem with entries, surely it would be better to invite close period replicas of the older cars to fit the general spirit of the event as has been the case for similar racing in recent years?

Production spec cars won't cut much of a spectacle in with the Grp 2 and Grp A stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
A. They are Super Production

B. No one minded when the BTCC was short of entries in Yr 2000 onwards & they needed a Class B

C. Probably no less spectacular than the Group 1 cars & probably more sophisticated & quicker, too.
I can kind of see both sides of this one- Certainly I get the argument that Production/SP cars might look unspectacular against Group A, G2, Supertouring etc cars...

On the other hand, 80's prodsaloons turned out on occasion in BTCC/ETC races, and as Andy said the Super Production cars (including Andy's Carina- is it the car Geoff Kimber-Smith drove in at least one BTCC round?) did run in the BTCC from 2000-2003ish, and are probably as quick or quicker than some Group 1 cars, or even smaller-capacity Group A cars.
Any idea of comparitive laptimes?

I'd certainly rather see original, authentic SP cars (particularly any that have actual BTCC history in the appropriate period) get a run if they're needed to fill out the grid than say, a highly-modified club racer that gets in as a 'replica' but actually would look more at home on a period Thundersaloon grid...