Thread: Classic Cars
View Single Post
Old 3 Aug 2007, 18:09 (Ref:1980044)   #85
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had a call this morning from a mate asking if I would do him a favour and take his 246 Dino for a spin as he hasnt had time to recently and thought it better get an airing -2 hours mostly in a traffic jam on the M3/M27 down to pick my son up from Southampton airport and back to Stockbridge after having lunch with a friend who has a 2.7 RS and 356 Speedster led to a most enjoyable afternoon!
A classic car (IMHO) should be great to the eye and a joy to drive. The Dino does both of those. Last year I was fortunate enough to drive the same car down to Le Mans and back and it ran faultlessly. A great little car full of charm and whilst not super quick its roadholding is superb and invites you to push it and when it does step out its so progressive its a doddle to catch it.
Certainly a car that would be in my virtual collection.
The E Type however is a different story. I had a 3.8 Coupe and whilst I still think that they are gorgeous and sound fantastic they are not that noce to drive - sadly. However I have a nasty feeling that I will get tempted by one again!
I am interested in the comments on Elans as I have always thought that they would make a great "tour auto" type car