Thread: 107% Rule
View Single Post
Old 15 Apr 2002, 07:41 (Ref:260700)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Problem is that today's circumstances make the 107% rule fairly uncomfortable.

The rule was designed to keep very slow/incapable drivers out of the race so they didn't cause a hazzard to other drivers. This rule was created when the cars performance was much more equal, so therefore it had to be a driver only problem.

Trouble is the F2002 Ferrari is going to smash all pole times this year. If you look at the Imola grid you can see how Ferrari crushed the opposition.

William's closest half a second off. McLaren couldn't get with 1 second of MS. Best of the rest - Sauber 1.6 secs off.

Into the mid grid cars are 2.5 to 3 secs off. At the back we have the Jags/Arrow's nearly 4 seconds off.

The 107% time was I think 1.26.5, which meant that De la Rosa only beat it by 1.7 secs. Bearing in mind that this was only the 2nd time out for the F2002 and that Ferrari will continually develop it, we could see a situation where some 'proper' cars with 'proper' drivers are very close to falling outside the 107%

The Ferrari's are going to get quicker and the teams still scratching their heads for pace (Jag) are going to get slower. This isn't really what the 107% rule was designed for IMO, as I don't think that anyone anticipated a car with this level of pace.