Thread: A1 GP? Yak !!!
View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1499941)   #37
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's some basic things that need to be addressed re: the reliability of the cars, and the pit-work, but A1GP is pretty damn promising. The feature race in Dubai was excellent, one of the best single-seater scraps I've seen in years, and the grip/downforce/horsepower balance of the cars is just about right for the level they're racing at. Inevitably the teams that are either from established racing nations or that can afford to buy expertise will be near the front; but right now that's the only way you're going to get meaningful participation from the countries that don't have any top-level motorsport infrastructure. At the moment, France are walking away with the series - what do you expect from DAMS (who are able to capitalise on the experience of running multiple cars) and relatively highly-rated drivers?

If A1GP works - and right now I see no reason why it won't continue to do so, as a 'winter alternative' to GP2 or World Series by Renault in particular - we should start seeing some real growth on the engineering and management side behind the drivers - ideally, we'd be in a position where the teams themselves featured more "local" staff. Give it a few years, let it keep building up, and I think that's what should start to happen.