View Single Post
Old 22 Aug 2000, 01:43 (Ref:31995)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just received my new issue of "Racer" magazine which has a feature on the GP. Speedvision have been running a series of "countdown to Indy" shows giving the History of the USGP and general background on F1. It's a big event for them as it will be their first broadcast to the world at this magnitude

I have seen no notice of it in the General press, but its too soon. Probably by mid-September, it might rate a short piece in Newsweek or Time; it will certainly receive mention in the New York Times which is the only "real" newspaper to receive national distribution. If the big three TV Networks, NBC, ABC and CBS are to feature stories on their evening News reports, it would be only during the week before the race.

NPR, National Public Radio, a listener supported Radio Network composed of independant and University owned Radio Stations has several pretty thoughtful commentaries through the day. Two years ago, when Tony George signed the deal with Bernie, the ran a 10 minute story on their evening report "All Things Considered"-I'm anticipating a follow-up as the F1 circus arrives at Indy.

I'll keep you posted as the date approaches. Honestly, i'm not optimistic for wide coverage-Nascar, which is the most widely followed sport in the States has minimal coverage in the National Press.

As the Race will be broadcast only on the narrowly distributed Speedvision and Fox SportsNet, most Americans will never be aware that the race has transpired.