View Single Post
Old 11 Sep 2013, 23:09 (Ref:3302468)   #151
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first motor race was in France in 1895 on public roads. Many of the earliest races were on streets before the first tracks starting popping up. Horse racing tracks like the Milwaukee Mile were first used, and in 1907 Brooklands opened as the first purpose-built tracks. After WWII, there were even some races held on old aerodromes. So by still racing in some streets and ovals, it is somewhat a homage to the earliest racing. This is why I have always enjoyed the small airport tracks of Cleavland and Edmonton too.

That list of tracks was very much an optimistic wish list, but I'd at least like to see all the boring street tracks replaced with better venues. I don't realistically seeing Toronto go (along with the obvious Long Beach, and Detroit which should be a staple), but the rest are nothing special and don't produce very good races. Road America, Laguna Seca, and Watkins Glenn are must have races in my opinion. Portland would be a very welcomed track too. It should be up to spec after the renovations they had done.

I wouldn't like to see a roval race either, but if they really want one, then Indy would work the best. Agreed on Austin, the F1 race there was nothing spectacular, but hardly any modern F1 races are. ALMS will be there later this month to give it another look for me.