View Single Post
Old 20 Oct 2001, 07:22 (Ref:163181)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two tiny crumbs of comfort to be gleaned from that news story as far as I can see.

1. Fox owns Speedvision.
2. NASCAR Images are involved.

This means that maybe (1) Rupert Murdoch's Sky empire might just be persuaded to open up one of their digital feeds to start a European Speedvision service, so us lot over here can see it. And (2), NASCAR Images holds the archive footage, so just maybe there will be some worthwhile programming of the old days when the cars were real cars. 1970 Daytona 500 anyone? Dodge Chargers and Plymouth Superbirds lapping at 210mph....

But if the channel is going to be all stock-cars, then I agree that it will be very poor fare indeed. And the bit about the lifestyle and backroom coverage is something that chills me totally. There is precious little of interest in a "Homes of the Rich and Famous" at the best of times, and it won't be improved any if the home just happens to be that of Terry Labonte. There are only so many time you can watch "exclusive" tours of Childress Racing's shop before it becomes old.