View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2726755)   #1029
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I don't really "get it". I could understand maybe the basic monocoque being made by one manufacturer but then they should leave the rest of the car open, especially the suspension. I don't see too many of the established manufacturers climbing all over themselves to produce a few body panels and invest R&D time and money into producing something that beats the dallara.

The old car though, teams have amortized the cost of them via depreciation and it's a cost of going racing. These old dogs only have a finite "life" to them anyways.

All this is to me is a punt with a few bones tossed out as weak appeasement.
Personally, I would have done just the monocoque, too, and left the rest open to allow the other builders to design their own suspension bits, aero kits, etc.

Teams are allowed to do their own suspension parts now...they won't be able to in this new scenario...at least for now...I think this is a potentially bad part of the idea, because Dallara's price for those parts a going to be marked up, and the teams can produce them cheaper or they wouldn't already be doing it now.

One American Open Wheel Series!