View Single Post
Old 23 Apr 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3064122)   #22
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So some individuals "don't like the idea that they have to be tested on their skills as marshals" [original post] ...... Why?

It is not a test, it is not supposed to be difficult..... it is just that someone is keeping an eye on them to see what/how they do and asking a few questions to check their knowledge etc during a day on the bank.

Particularly for Trainee to Track, if people don't want to u/g they don't have to but should then sometimes expect that still having a "white badge" might well result in the age old question being asked of " I see you are a trainee - how many meetings have you done" especially when there are people who might not have worked with someone before.

The whole point of having a "grading" structure is so that people organising marshals for an event can look at arranging the marshalling resources for the event based on a reasonable expectation that a person of a certain grade can act and behave at a "known level" and assume certain responsibilities. (Yes, I know it is the case that there may be some individuals who might not "live up to their badge" and yes there might be individuals who are "way more that their grade might suggest" - no system is perfect).

I will not bother to fuel the "have to flag to upgrade" discussion as this was done to death several threads ago.....

Keep safe

Dave