View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2011, 20:20 (Ref:2867764)   #1258
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Very true, but the gearbox is the part i feel is must vulnerable.
Comparing with the S102, isn't a true comparison, as the Judd V10 produced +500 lb-ft (from Mike's site) where as the Audi V6 will probably produce even more (the R15 V10 produced over 750, accordingly to Wiki), pressuring the gearbox. (Again very much like when Peugeot switched to a new metal in their rods)
Carbon fibre gearbox housings are a well understood technology, which has been around for a very long time: http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ftpw017.html

I am sure the gearbox has seen many hours on the bench and on the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I agree with Gwyllion--the guts of the gearbox are what's most important here. Audi's gearbox internals are built by XTrac, and are probably similar to the FLM gearbox's (an Xtrac item designed jointly with Courage/Oreca).
Stiffness of the gearbox housing is also crucial because it has all the mounting points of the rear suspension. Remember the Peugeot suspension pickup points breaking of the carbon fibre tub. You don't want that to happen...