View Single Post
Old 25 Sep 2002, 01:04 (Ref:387755)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interview: John Lopes and Lee Dykstra

There's a good interview on the Speed Channel web page with CART Vice President of Racing Operations John Lopes and Director of Technology and Competition Lee Dykstra. If you have a moment read through it, it sheds some light on Cart's future...from a more technical perspective.

http://www.speedtv.com/auto/?lvl=3a&cat=20&id=3496

Some highlights:

-fuel windows to go, fuel enrichment switch to be removed from drivers cockpit

-penalties to be relaxed such that the punishment fits the crime (Fernandez situation discussed in depth)

-They will possibly allow the stewards to move a lapped car out of the way during a yellow flag situation toward the end of the race to allow a clean race to the finish.

-Standing Starts could very well return to Atlantics next year, but are unlikely in Cart in the near future (makes sense

-horsepower will be in the range of 750 (w 41.5 inches of boost) for road courses and 700 (w/ 39 inches of boost)for ovals.

On the subject of car count...John Lopes says
Quote:
As many of you know, historically, car count is something that's not completely determined until typically January when everyone's deals are put together. There's an awful lot of activity going on right now. There will be a minimum of 18 cars on the grid next year. But in terms of announcements, I think you will just see a combination of teams making their own announcements when their sponsor and driver deals are put together and CART making an overall announcement as to who is participating in the ESP program when that's appropriate.
Which does make quite a bit of sense. If this season is like F1 and Cart have been for the past few years, we won't know the car count until the week before the first race.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes