View Single Post
Old 25 Sep 2002, 07:10 (Ref:387845)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, that was a good read, Jay. Thanks.

A few opinions of my own:
Lapped traffic should not be shuffled to the back for restarts. I think it's unfair for the leader, who may have worked hard to gain a substantial lead. Already a yellow situation eliminates most of his gap. To put P2 immediately behind him would be, well, downright mean. And the driver of the lapped machine may have also built up a substantial lead over the position behind him, and that too would be erradicated. The interview brings up a good point in that there won't be manufacturer pride in this situation come next year. That is to say, a lapped Toyota restarting second in line, between the leader and the Honda car in P2, won't feel the pressure of holding the Honda behind him. So maybe he'd be more apt to get out of the way on his own. But again, in my opinion, I don't want to see shuffling of the restart order to put all the lead-lap cars together.

And, regarding standing starts, I'm not sure how I'd vote on that one. For the entertainment value it would be great, but nothing could be less entertaining than a big wreck with possible injuries. Safety should be (and is) the #1 priority.