View Single Post
Old 4 Dec 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2347320)   #5
diabloA1
Racer

diabloA1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel that so long as the rules are the same for everyone it is fair game. A1GP (even in F1 mind you) is not just about the driver, it is a lot to do with team work. The fastest qualifying is not, never was and will never will be down solely to the 'quickest' driver. It never is a 'one man' show and never is in a single make series like A1GP (or even in F1)

The quickest lap is achieved by the car with the best engineer, mechanics, on freshest tyres, deployed during the very narrow time period when the track is grippiest with no traffic and of course driven by the best driver.

All teams know when this window of opportunity would be. The question then is do they use it for the quicker Sprint or Feature quali session. I do agree with your suggestion that Powerboost be offered for both Sprint and Feature quali attempts. However that would take out more of the 'joker' card unpredictability. I think it would better to just discard powerboost entirely then having one for Sprint and another for Feature as it is teams already only give their best for only 2 out of the 4 quali sessions - one for sprint the other for Feature quali.

I don't think joker powerboost takes away driver skill in any way. If anything more would be needed because the braking points would shift just for that lap. Luck has nothing to do with it. No driver or team is ever always lucky(or unlucky) during a race weekend anyway. Consistency is always the key to winning a championship. Good luck is just icing on the cake.

What I do not like is a reverse grid system employed is some series as it clearly takes away the hard work of a team as you are 'penalized' for being quick. Joker powerboost to me at least is different because you have the same opportunity as the other guy. Just requires more consideration of strategy which I like because it demands more of teamwork which is a trait of A1GP that I really like.