View Single Post
Old 7 Oct 2021, 00:54 (Ref:4077264)   #40
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
The requirements endurance racing puts on tyres are completely different than what F1 wants from it's tyre supplier. Any data or synergy between the two would be so basic it could also come from a different diameter tyre with the same sidewall height and basic construction.
You call out a lack of synergy between the two, but then also call out that broadly the construction is likely to be similar. Yes, there will be differences between 18" Rally, Endurance and F1 tires. But there would be a lot of similarity from a suppliers perspective. You can Google comments from Michelin from a number of years ago in which they don't care to do tires just for F1. That for them, until F1 moves forward to 18" they have no interest. That for Michelin, lower sidewall tires more closely matches what they want to do from a design perspective. They clearly think there is synergy.

Quote:
I'm arguing, keep the benefits of the lower side wall, but put it on a smaller 16'' wheel.
16 vs 18. Frankly there is little difference between the two IMHO for your purposes. Other than, again, F1 would be bucking the trend for little or no reason or benefits (see comments from Michelin). 16" would be a change from the current situation, but still not help address one of the core issues which is nobody (in general) wants 16" wheels. If you argue this is about street car relevance then 16" wheels is another "no go". Street cars have been moving away from 16" wheels for a long time. And while they are still available, the selection of tires for 16" wheels in road cars is starting to get thin. In short, 16" wheels is not going to make much of anyone happy. The wheel diameter within reason is relatively arbitrary. Other than they have been 13" for a long time, the usage of 13" is pretty arbitrary. If you start picking sizes larger than 13" you eventually hit at 18" as being "the current" sweet spot for if any other reason, it is where many motorsports are gravitating.

Quote:
This is not meant as a cop out, but I just don't have time to gather the data.
Fair enough. I don't have the time either. But I think the burden of proof is on you as you are swimming upstream on this on many fronts. I think broadly I am out of this discussion as on my end the points have been made and the my arguments still stand. We are starting to go round and round (no pun intended on this) So there really is nothing more for me to add at this point.

Cheers.

Richard