View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 2007, 07:45 (Ref:2044296)   #9
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I worked for Ford Europe at the time the GT40 was the supercar.

In fact, all apart from using a US V8 - sorted by Carrol Shelby, the GT40 was of course a Lola, as Ford bought Lola cars. Eric Broadley happily sold the business, with the one proviso that he retained title to the name, Lola.

A yoing chum of mine at the time, Roy McFruin was an ex-apprentice with Ford, having gone through the Ford Apprentice School in Essex and was extraordinarily fortunate enough to be posted to what was then FAV (Ford Advanced Vehicles) at Slough.

He was constantly talking to Shelby, since part of his job was resourcing parts.

Additionally, he was allowed - on Ford's insurance! - to bring cars home at weekend and was often to be seen driving around in a prototype. One weekend he drove home to Essex in an experimental 7 litre job and proceeded to spend all his wages and loads of his Mum and Dad's dosh on petrol, burbling around the horizon!

The only real "Ford" component was support services like foundry and certain sub-component fabrication from (mainly) Ford UK and Dearborn.

Of course, the subsequent Mk II and the later J type (the one which Ford US designed, which fell to pieces on the Dearborn test track killing the driver, as the rivets and the honeycomb ally-composite monocoque fell apart.

John Whitmore and Jack Sears were the early test drivers and Whitmore came to Warley (Ford Europe's Central Office a Near Brentwood Essex) and enraptured a crammed lecture theatre ( perhaps I ought to say, theater!) with his tales of development test driving; like when he and Sears took off over a humped back bridge when they were hackling along, 'cos the aerodynamics weren't quite right!

They apparently had enough time for for John to say, "I believe we are going to turn over!"

And Sears to respond" Yes, I think you're right!"

Designed In Britain: tested in Britain; made in Britain. No more American than any F 5000 or Group 7 car of the era!

One amusing footnote to this tale.

Apparently the head honchos at Dearborn were very interested in the concept of using motor sport to sell road cars and benefit the company name.

They were particularly taken by Le Mans.

So some envoys were sent to Mondello and sought audience with Enzo Ferrari
carrying a blank cheque!

The Commendatore was totally incensed and threw them out of his office!

How dare they even consider he would think of selling his beloved company to these uncouth philistines from America!

So Ford bought Lola, instead!