View Single Post
Old 22 Nov 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2990149)   #159
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael

(i) The very reason I suggested it might be moved was so that your invaluable contribution could reach a wider audience!

(ii) The silhouette regulations were quite clear. You could remove anything below the wheel centres of the original car, but not of the car as lowered. It was therefore possible to calculate the permissible minimum height of any particular model. One of the main reasons for building the Karmann Ghia was that within the silhouette regulations, we could build the car so much lower than a legal Stiletto!

Had we adopted the interpretation used, in my view wrongfully, for the Ray Stilettos, the KG could have been almost 4" lower still. Check out the clearance above the front wheels in the pictures.

(iii) We checked the eligibility of the KG very carefully, as we shared your doubts.... We obtained FIA homologation papers, and got clearance from RACMSA, before we seriously committed to the project.

Anyway, it's great to hear from you on this Forum. I look forward to seeing your future postings!

Best wishes

Clive