View Single Post
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:55 (Ref:1948369)   #50
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Just my two penneth.

Doc Murfield's Fraud Cortina was an early Mk I; it used a US Ford V8. Two rads in the boot, mounted on the floor, cooled by two large electric fans.

The car was bought and run thereafter by Brian Bolton from Chelmsford Essex: Brian used to tow this monster behind his Mk II Jag 3.8 saloon.

Terry Sanger's car was indeed originally built by Terry Drury. Terry was a development engineeer who worked for Ford at the Dunton engineering centre in Essex, on dyno testing, development engines. Terry's assistant at the time, told me that when they were working nights, they would gallop through the official work and then spend the rest of the time tweaking the gasflow on Terry's big Anglia (from memory a twin cam taken to two litre).

In fact I can probably claim the fame for the first Mk I Cortina V6, which I built from Bengt Soderstroms Safari Rally car (Mk I GT Cortina, pre- rear axles links) for another Ford colleague, Pete Calderwood , after I left Ford Europe and set up my own racing and tuning business and retail garage, Felspeed Racing etc. (1967)

The engine was an ex development unit bought from Dagenham; cams were blank unground and ground to a blind faith and charity profile by Piper Cams in Kent! (I used D Type Jag overlaps and left the lift profiles to David Piper!).

Carb was a four barrel of some sort: Pete worked in a Ford area which included what was called, unpoetically, Industrial Engines - which were Ford mills sold to various other manufacturers of boats, industrial plant, military stuff etc - but their remit also included supplying all the US Ford V8s to Rootes for the Sunbeam Tigers. When Chrysler bought Roots, they junked all the V8 engines and mucho ancilliary kit: which we bought and sold to John Wolf and others, keeping certain bits for the V6 project.

The V6 was a beastie but did win points first time out in the old Redex trophy for Special Saloons at Brands.

I had to make up the exhaust manifolds first crack from german bending mild steel tube and in those days gas welded!

The car on full chat sounded like an old Commer T3 turbo diesel truck!

Happy days.