View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2956031)   #6
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the ST class front - a turn-key Focus sounds awesome...I wonder what kind of $ they're going to be asking? And if it would be legal in World Challenge as well? Very interesting...

As far as Audi R8s go, I can almost guarantee that APR will run at least one, if not two, if they are available. They're committed to the Audi / VAG brand for motorsports, as I've asked them if they'd ever consider running a GT Porsche since the R8 wasn't yet available for any series in the USA (this was a couple years back), and at the time they said they basically wouldn't, ever. APR has the funding and has been gaining more and more experience with their ST / GS programs, so stepping up to GT is the natural thing to do, and knowing the owner as I do, I'm sure that would be where he wants to go as well.

Aside from APR, Stasis would be the other USA based Audi tuner / manufacturer who I would expect to step into an R8. They've done various motorsports programs in the past, and are currently building their new headquarters at Summit Point in West VA. Whether that indicates they have a lot of cash to work with, or have it all tied up in the building I don't know, but again, it would make sense. Especially since one of their more popular products is the R8 Supercharger kit.

If TRG can get some rental drivers out of it sure, but I actually see them stepping up to GT in ALMS next year (for Spencer and either Dion or Duncan), perhaps with one car, and running 1-2 in GTC depending on funded drivers.