View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2014, 22:22 (Ref:3382812)   #28
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
I have once again dug through the vast reaches of the inter tubes and discovered this AMAZING website that posses several galleries from past Le Mans races dating from 1970 and all the way up to 1979.

http://www.endurance-photos.org/cate...-soixante-dix/

One photo in particular from this photographer's 1970 album reminded me of a few old buildings that used to line the track way back in the day, before they were removed due to circuit updates.

This building shown here littered with British Petroleum advertisement signs is a building that I have always wondered about. What was the function of this building? Timing and Scoring? VIP Boxes? Just some random Frenchman's estate that just so happened to line one of the most famous circuits in the world?

Judging from many of the classic footages that I have seen over the storied history of this particular section of the track, this building remained up until the completion of the current pit complex (1991?) that we see today.

This one from 1972 with the awesome Matra Simca V12 streaming past frame.

Yes it was the old control building. Once, I could inside because one of my friends' father was an official timekeeper. Yes, Pascal it was before the electronic era. They had several chronometers in front of them and each time keeper had several cars to register lap after lap. It's so far now that I don't exactly remember the details.