Thread: LM24 Race Member AllonFS
View Single Post
Old 8 Feb 2013, 18:35 (Ref:3201343)   #102
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Hi guys,

A very belated happy new year, here’s hoping for a sunny and healthy 2013.

It’s generally good news on the health front for me, I’ve had various scans and biopsies and they haven’t found any active disease so that means I am in remission. Some of the scans show something in my left hip where the leukaemia was, but this may well be damage caused by it, (and ironically the treatment to get rid of it). It seems talking to my consultant that this first year after the transplant is key, if I can avoid complications from the transplant and the leukaemia stays away then the
prognosis will be encouraging. Always seems to be a new (and further away…) date to work towards, but the consultant is very happy with how things have gone so far.

In myself, I am not too bad. My energy levels fluctuate a lot depending on the level of steroids I’m taking for some of the side effects of the transplant. Some weeks I am full of energy and busy doing things, other times I am knackered, sleep loads and struggle to do much at all. It can be really frustrating, and I really want to get back to normal, but I have come to realise how big a procedure this stem cell transplant malarkey was and that the recovery is going to take time. However as a family we are able to do more together again and have started to book some short breaks away for later in the year which is something to really look forward to.

I’ll probably make this the last ‘health update’ as hopefully things will gradually improve from here, so work on the ‘no news is good news’ principle. I also want to try and have something more to talk about than sodding leukaemia, after all this is the Le Mans forum, not a cancer forum! It’s dominated my life for the nearly a year now and it would be really nice to move on and think about living a bit more, enjoying family time, possibly a Le Mans trip and even working again…

Thanks for all your support
Best wishes
Allon