View Single Post
Old 5 Apr 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2667286)   #598
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I suppose I don't comprehend some of the mentality you describe, Jag. I just find econoboxes demoralizing. They don't look like anything, and they are utterly indistinguishable from one another for me. They try to be both a sports car and a sedan. They're ugly amorphous blobs that have no resemblance to a sedan, but are too heavy and blunt to be sports cars either. They look and sound mundane. I just don't care one jot for them, and I'll never drive any one of them much, if at all, because I can't get a license due to my poor eyesight.

So, if I find the econoboxes that uninspiring and demoralizing, why on Earth would I want my racing to remind me in the least of those forgettable contraptions on the road?

Besides, a little, turbo four-banger doesn't make a throaty, rich sound. it doesn't vibrate your chest, or shake the ground on which you stand. It can be almost otherworldly. The total stimulation, and this goes beyond mere sensory pick-up, is just unbelievable. It's inspiring and rejuvenating to realize they you as a human being are even capable of feeling so much. You forget that a key component of entertainment value is the escapism element; like Hell you want you're entertainment to remind you of your daily grind!

If racing ceases to provide that full, rich, sensory and soulful experience to the viewers on TV and in person, it will die, period.